Friday, April 25, 2014

Where Less is More

We’re in a state of deferred living. Always assuming what we have now is not enough. Always wanting more.

Around four to five years ago my life was going pretty well with little to complain about in the grand scheme of things. I had great friends and family, a good job, a roof over my head, and certainly knew where my next meals were coming from.

However, I had also started to accumulate more in my life. More commitments, more meetings, more financial hassle. Recession in the markets had put so much of stress and strain on both mind and body, so much so I felt like less of my time was spent on, well what I call 'me' time.
A period of reflection followed. I started to understand what I truly wanted in life. I also started to uncover those things in life I would rather be without.
I also started to take action.
I started extracting myself from commitments and meetings I really had no interest in being at or didn’t feel I could add value to.
I learned the value and power of a polite “no thanks” more importantly, I started to feel less guilt about saying no in these cases. In fact I realized that barring a very small number the rest of the people come and go, without leaving even a mark on my day forget life.
I started to see that conventions don’t always have to be followed. Not that I have even in the past but felt even more less inclined to do so.
I started to focus more on the things, causes, issues and people that were really important to me.
I started to accumulate fewer material possessions but enjoyed my money more (holidays, events, great dinners at home etc.). I haven't bought anything for myself or the house unless absolutely essential in 5 years now.
In short, the quality of my life has improved since I have sought to simplify things and intentionally live with less. 

Was It Easy?

In short, it wasn't too tough. This is very much a journey and not an overnight fix. However, its all in the mind. If you are determined to be happy, you will be - despite what you have or don't, the new socially accepted obsession of attaching happiness to material things is the problem and can be rectified with understanding that having little is what sets you free. It has meant some definitive changes.
I have consciously reduced "work" and thereby relieved myself of the everyday stress, freeing myself to do the things I love.
Because I’ve spent less on stuff, I have been able to travel more for fun in the past few years (and the more amazing places I travel to the more I want to travel). I also have more time to read all the books I have been wanting to.
I have realized that life can be rich and full of small pleasures without having to spend lots or buy more. For example, I love reading the newspaper with Ranga in the morning in an unhurried manner,with some freshly brewed coffee, learning to cook some gourmet meals together experimenting in the kitchen and yes playing chess at night.
I feel like I have more time to do what I want to do and to spend with the people I want to spend time with. (In reality, I have the same amount of time available to me but have been more selective in how I fill my time and what I say yes to.)...I also feel less inclined to justify myself to anyone...feel happy just 'to be' and am happier...
Excess Baggage Is Not only Cumbersome but expensive too
As in journeys, any seasoned traveler will tell you Excess Baggage Is Not only Cumbersome but expensive too. However, Eliminating the excess means living a life that can be slightly unconventional by modern standards.
Perhaps I don’t change to the latest smartphone every other month. I actually don't have a smartphone,  it might turn out to be smarter than me!! I do not feel the need to be connected 24X7, if I can touch base with my friends once in a few weeks/months, I am happy! What's App! What's that?
Perhaps I don’t fill our home with clutter, in fact I give away anything I have not used in a year.
Perhaps I focus on and am grateful for what I do have rather than on what I don’t.
Perhaps I intentionally create space in my life so I can breathe a little and enjoy the moment.
Making changes is not necessarily easy initially. We are so programmed to think a certain way that making changes can involve a significant shift in thinking. However, what I realized is its all in the mind. It can literally transform our lives for the better. It can mean:
  • More free time to do what we want to do (hobbies, passions, etc.)
  • More quality time with those we care about
  • Less stress
  • Less spending
  • Ironically, more quality possessions that we truly enjoy and give us value
  • More savings (for holidays and other things you enjoy doing)
  • Less pressure to keep up with the times
Now ask yourself, what is stopping you trying to find your own path to less and forever banishing the more is better mindset? This worked for me...

No comments:

Post a Comment